Sunday, August 16, 2009

Growing Back Muscles Is Hard Work

I have been a terrible blogger lately but the truth is, apart from telling you that everything is going great, I've got nothing to say! Or at least, I don't find most of it interesting, maybe you all would disagree, so here you go.


We have finally gotten a step ahead of all the nausea and dehydration (this past week at chemo I didn't even need extra fluids) and I have had really good weeks since getting back from Washington, granted, any week that I don't go to the hospital is a good week! I have gained a significant amount of weight in the past two weeks - I'm up from 115 to around 130, but I'm still wearing a size 4 or 6 in pants which means I have been shopping a few times! My plan is to get my weight around 140 and keep it there, so we will see how that goes. I have stopped using the stomach drainage tube (I still have it, it's just closed) and I guess as long as things keep going well with that I'll get it out eventually. I still use the feeding pump. but it now just runs through the night and in the morning, which means I get to unhook from it all afternoon. Since I started gaining weight so quickly after Washington, because I am eating more by mouth, we do less food by the feeding tube. We couldn't do this before when I had the drain tube open because everything I would eat and drink would just come out through there and basically I relied completely on the feeding pump. The IV pole can also be a pain to push around so it's really nice to have some freedom from it for a little while each day once my pump is done - it's much easier to go shopping without it.

So I have been eating about three meals a day by mouth - I still can't eat a whole lot at a time, but I do snack a lot in between meals. Hopefully I'll be completely independent of all my tubes here soon and they can come out! I've been cooking a good bit as well - something I've missed doing! I even bought a cute little apron from World Market the other day. I also bought a ton of new cake decorating supplies from Hobby Lobby yesterday and I can't wait to try them all out!

I always joke with Warner that growing back all my muscles is really hard work. Because I'm feeling so well, I'm usually super exhausted by the end of the day and since my muscles didn't get used for so long, they have been super sore lately! Especially my legs!! But I'm slowly getting more endurance and getting around better. Well, that's all the updating I have for now - I think I've rambled on long enough. I'll try to keep up with this thing more often now!

Oh! If you need Haley's address sent to you so you can send her your bracelet money, email me - sobradley@gmail.com , or leave your email address in the comment section so I know where to email it to.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the upddate....I check on your blog when I open Vicki's. glad to read a good report.
CFox

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!! How did you start keeping the stomach tube closed???? I am amazed and so thankful! Yep, I bet your legs are pretty darn exhausted - after all Steph they have had so little use since right after Easter!!!!!! It is just so great that your progress has been so accelerated the past 2 weeks - HIP HIP HOORAY!! Thank Dr. Bienvenu for me for allowing yall to take that trip - clearly a change of scenery is what you both needed!!!!
LOVE to you 4 - even the brute Edgar!!!!! SKSB

Anonymous said...

I agree with Susu--the trip must have been the miracle we have been praying for! I am all teary eyed just thinking about how VERY good it is to have you blogging again.God IS good, isn't He. I am wearing my bracelet(already paid for) with joy and remembering to pray often.
Love you ,
YFA Joan

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you are getting stronger and gaining weight. We loved your vacation pictures also. You are a great photographer.

Anything about how you are doing and going through is interesting to us. We want to know how to pray for you or when to celebrate with you.

Thanks for the update.

Kerwin and Vicki

shay said...

I am glad you are doing so well & gaining weight..I am hoping to loose a few ;O)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're feeling well!

Cindy McLean said...

Glad things are going well for you! How are the "boys"? School starts back tomorrow...back to a routine again! My email adress is cjmfrosty@hotmail.com Hugs from Arkansas!

Diane said...

Hi Stephanie,

How exciting to hear such good news!!! I'll pass it on to our Prayer Partners. You made my day, or should I say night since it is late!
:-)

Love the bracelet. Sent the check yesterday. Thank you for making them available.

You and Warner continue to be in our prayers.

Love ya much,
Diane (for Dale, too)
:-)