Monday, September 21, 2009

Somebody Listen To Me!

Story Time!


So, my parents and brother came up to the apartment yesterday to visit for a little while. Well, I was feeling kind of run down all day so I hadn't eaten really at all so I decided to make some cheese toast because it usually goes down well. Well, rewind to Saturday night - per Warner's request - I made an apple cake from a recipe on The Pioneer Woman (it was actually a really good cake). Well, you cook the apples in a skillet and pop it in the oven once you put on the cake mix. The problem is that there is twenty pounds of butter in the recipe and apparently during the entire cooking time, butter had been dripping over the sides of the skillet on to the oven floor - which I noticed when I took the cake out but there wasn't anything I could do at that time while the oven was still hot. Okay, back to Sunday night and my cheese toast. I forgot all about the butter being in the bottom of the oven so I turned the oven on 400 and popped my toast in there (I'm not one to preheat the oven unless I'm baking bread or a cake or something like that). Well, the whole time it was cooking I was thinking it smelled like something was smoking or whatever - it wasn't too strong though so I ignored it. Well, I went to get my bread out and when I opened the door there was a small fire on the bottom of my oven - to which I exclaimed - "There is a fire in the bottom of my oven." AND NOBODY MOVED OR DID ANYTHING. My dad had been standing right next to me and he just walked away and sat on the couch. Then I said, "Umm...Warner there's a fire..." Nothing...then I slightly yelled "Somebody listen to me! The oven is on fire." And then my dad and Warner responded and dad blew out the fire and my mom and brother stared at me like I was crazy. Apparently I didn't have enough of a reaction to the fire for anyone to think anything of it. Maybe I'll just have to be overly-dramatic next time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Between the TV. dogs, 3 people talking and you, of course talk very quiet, i had no idea anything was going on. And it doesn't help that I'm half deaf. React next time! Jump up and down! Scream! Freak out! Maybe we will notice. Hope you feel better today!
MOM

shay said...

First I have to comment on the cheese toast...OK I have nit had that in fortever & it was one of tmy very favorites growing up. yummo! Secondly..I am glad your house didn't burn down for lack of enthusiasm :O)

Anonymous said...

You are FUNNY Steph! Yes it is so frustrating when no one pays attention to you! Love you ! Susan, Mil,sksb

Diane said...

That is a funny story!!!!!
:-)
Next time just YELL......
*****F I R E*****
You made me laugh!!!
:-)

Unknown said...

Hey, I got my red bracelet yesterday! It's so pretty. If we're getting bracelets, you definitely deserve a T-shirt!

Anonymous said...

Hey--great news and great to hear from you!, but I gotta run to Bible study--more later
Blessings,
YFA Joan