Tuesday, September 1, 2009

There's a Hole In My Belly Dear Warner, Dear Warner

So, today I got my drainage tube taken out. You would think this would be no big deal because I had my PEG tube taken out last year and it was a piece of cake. Well, except for the whole confusion in the pre-op area and no one being able to find me, and yeah, no big deal. Well, turns out they put in a different type of tube this time - one with a non-deflatable stopper in it. NON-DEFLATABLE. Last time, my PEG tube had a balloon on the end of it and the radiologist just deflated the balloon and slipped the tube out. Then he butterflied the hole with tape and threw some gauze on there and we called it a day. This time, after waiting in the waiting room for an hour and a half (they were super behind) I went back to the room only to find out that the G tube had the mushroom stopper on the end of it and that was going to be pulled through the hole in my belly - I wanted to start crying right at that moment, but I didn't. Then he pulled the tube out and let's just say I screamed some and then my eyes got quite watery. Warner's hand is probably broken in about 20 different places as well. So, he pulled the tube out in two yanks, yeah, not one, but two, and stomach content went everywhere. I soaked through tons of gauze in about two seconds. My tshirt and jeans did a good job of soaking up the stomach stuff as well. I'm still leaking a good bit tonight so I've got a stack of towels and gauze nearby and Dr. Warner is doing a great job by keeping me doped up on some pain meds for now.


My stomach can close up by tomorrow (like it did last time) but there's always a chance that it may take a few days and I'm definitely going to be more sore this time than I was last time, just because of how they pulled the tube. And you know what the worst part is??? I still have my feeding tube in the right side of my stomach so I have to go through all this again eventually. I think I might be waiting a little while though.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Oh YUCK!!!!! I hate hearing this!!!
I'm going to pray (starting right now) that the next tube they take out will NOT hurt as much!!!
AND..........
I'm going to ask our Prayer Partners to be praying about that, too.

We love you both, and so sorry you had to go through this!!!

BTW.... I love my bracelet. It's so pretty.

You are terrific!!!!
Love ya,
Diane
Ps. 34

Anonymous said...

Goodness Gracious.....sounds horrific.........did they know your stomach contents were goign to fly out?????? EGADS - what an ordeal...hope the surgeon was young, NICE, and cute! Love ya MIL/sksb/Mom

Cindy said...

Oh Stephanie! I pray for you by name every morning! I will also pray for a smooth removal for the next tube. How are the "boys"? My dogs are lovin' this cooler weather. The first home football game is Friday and the 1st Razorback game is Saturday.It is supposed to rain but who cares.....it's football again!!!!!!Hang in there friend! HUGS FROM ARKANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad and Gina Moreman said...

Love you guys! Glad I was not eating when I read your blog. Yum! Stomach content! Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it. Wish we could see you guys!

Barbara Henderson said...

I am so sorry that you had to endure that! We prayed for you tonight in choir (as we do every week). Hope it heals quickly and we will pray for a better experience next time! Miss you guys!

gordon said...

ouch