Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 1

I’m just going to update everyone on here from now on. It’s the easiest way to let you all know what’s going on.


I got the phone call around 9 this morning from the oral surgeon who did the biopsy and he told me over the phone that is was cancer. I would have bet money that he would not have told me over the phone, but he did, so good thing I’m not the betting kind. He had already been on the phone with the ENT center at Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge (apparently the hospital of the year in Louisiana). So, I finished up some stuff at work, and Warner and I drove over to the hospital and got there around 10. They were super backed up, but I got to skip ahead of everyone, except the feisty lady that had been waiting for almost 2 hours, (I still had to wait an hour to get back to the room). I felt bad jumping in front of everyone, but I guess cancer takes precedence. The nurses took my blood pressure, asked me 50 million health questions, and put me on the scale – I’ve lost 5 pounds since I was last in Tulsa! Doctor Pou came in, a really petite, kinda Cajun lady, who graduated from LSU and stuck her fingers all in my mouth and felt the sore and all that fun stuff – I wanted to bite her every time she touched the sore, but I refrained. She checked my nose and my ears and all that was good. I had a scope put down my nose – which was VERY uncomfortable, so she could look at my voice box and the back of my tongue and my throat. That was a weird feeling. They had to numb my nose with some sort of spray and it shot all over my face, and then I had this flexible tube put down my nose and I could feel it on the back of my tongue and in my throat…WEIRD! I go back on Wednesday to have a CT scan and a PET scan and blood work and basically for whatever else they want to do to me or stick me with – have I mentioned I hate needles? Because, yeah, I do…I really really do.


At this point, they don’t know what stage it is (that’s what Wednesday’s tests are for) and they don’t know if it has spread anywhere else. Doctor Pou was still waiting to see the actual slides from my biopsy, so I am not sure exactly what type it is right now…but it is probably Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Basically treatment will be surgery and then radiation, but again we won’t know that until we get all the test results back and know exactly what’s going on. So, that’s my story for now. Any Questions?

4 comments:

Barb said...

Stef, I have no words but I give you the verse that I gave to John when he went to Vietnam... Psalm 27:1 - "The Lord is my light and my salvation;Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?" We are praying for you both.
Barbara and John

Carol Hennessy said...

Just want to let you know you are in our prayers. Love you, Aunt Carol

Jennifer said...

Hi Stefanie, I am a friend of your mom's from waaaaay back in Austin days. We have kept up with each other through getting married, birthing and raising kids and beyond by this wonderful thing called the internet and e-mail. Although you and I have never met, I feel like I know you because of my constant contact with your mom. I just want you to know that you and Warner (I have a cousin named Warner!)are in my prayers. They should hold out on the t-shirt though until you beat the nasty C and then they can give you the CHAMPIONSHIP tee!

Unknown said...

Baby girl! You are in my prayers. I am literally a phone call away if you need ANYTHING. I love you hun, and I am so sorry that you're going through this. Seriously, do not hesitate a millisecond to call if you need anything.
Sarah