Thursday, September 25, 2008

Some Answers...Kind Of!

Today was my appointment with the endocrinologist and I actually got pointed in some sort of direction as to my recent health problems! Basically I am testing my blood sugar over the weekend whenever I feel really hungry and light headed (I'm supposed to push it and feel really bad when I test). I have to call the doctor early next week and let him know what my levels were. I took a test this afternoon when I got home from the doctor and I was HUNGRY and light headed of course and it was 88, so normal. Which brings me to the next point. The doctor does not think it is my blood sugar at all that is causing the problems. He thinks it is a nonautimmune disorder - say that three times fast, I know I can't. So yep, leave it to me to be the one that gets the weird diseases. Basically what he thinks is happening is that my pulse and my blood sugar are going whacko and he thinks it's because of my neck dissection - you fix one thing and mess up another, right? Awesome! When he took my pulse while I was sitting up it was 120 and when he took it with me laying down it was 89-92...that's a BIG difference! He didn't take it with me standing up because he just assumed it would be insane. So, we are ruling out blood sugar this weekend and if it turns out to be the problem, we'll go that route, but if not, I have to do some sort of tilt table test. Sounds fun I guess - pricking my finger, however, is not! Actually I just looked at some pictures and it totally looks like an awesome test! Haha. So if it turns out to be that nonautoimmune nonsense, I would have to either take medicine to control the problem, or there is a chance that it could fix itself. 


My endocrinologist called Dr. Bienvenu during my appointment to let him know what he thought was the problem and I think Dr. Bienvenu feels bad for me. Apparently on the phone he was like, we put her through so much and she never complains! That comment comes in contrast to what my physical therapists say! Ha. I like to make them earn their money so every time my weights get increased I complain - just for fun - because they try to do it without telling me to see if I notice (I do). I don't want them to not increase my weights or anything and I will do the exercises I just like to make their jobs difficult! I mean, it's hard to hold two nine pound weights and do semi-reclining bench presses with them. I have a face to protect! 

Oh, and in case there was any confusion with the last post...I LOVE football. We will just have to plan our canasta games around the football game! 

Oh, one more thing, Congrats to Vicki for finishing her chemo today!!!! Hope the sick days subside quickly and you can start enjoying the good days!!!! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I talked to you on your way home from the DR. but just wanted to be first to comment if Butters will let me. He is all over me and wants my lap at the expence of the computer. I know it is hard to eat all the time expecally if you dont want to cook very often. Lots of fruit! Come down this weekend and get some gator!!!! thats what you are really hungry for. Gone to long without. gotta keep the cajun in ya. MOM

Kerwin Dees said...

Thanks for thinking about Vicki today. We are thankful for your progress and pray that you can get the blood sugar thing worked out soon.

Kerwin and Vicki.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie, By all means,make the drs "earn their keep" ha Glad you are doing some testing. The tilt test is not a hard test. We do it on some of our pts. Hope you have a great weekend. Hope our football teams win and we can all cheer! Hugs from Arkansas!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to canasta AND football--looks like the Razorbacks and our Tigers might be an even match!
YFA Joan