Monday, September 29, 2008

Dr. Fields

Dr. Fields is the doctor that probably makes me laugh the most, but his sense of humor is the type that makes you wonder if he actually knows he is being funny. The point is, he cracks me up. Here's a few conversations we had today at my five minute appointment:


Dr. Fields: Have you seen Dr. Pou lately?
Me: No, I was supposed to have an appointment with her last Wednesday but she canceled on me.
Dr. Fields: (in a monotone voice) Dreadful. Surgeons will do that to you.
Me: Yeah, I see her this Wednesday
Dr. Fields: I haven't ever canceled an appointment on you have I? (he has this thing about always wanting to be better than Dr. Pou, he was quite proud when I told him that he is better at scoping my nose).
Me: No, you just had surgery and missed a few weeks of my treatment.
Dr. Fields: That's okay, I did all the planning.

A few minutes or so later:

Dr. Fields: How's your swallowing?
Me: Fine, I had pizza for lunch if that is any indication.
Dr. Fields: Yeah, I guess if you can get that down, you can get anything down. Where did you get pizza from?
Me: It was frozen pizza, Dijourno has a new one with fire roasted vegetables.
Dr. Fields: That's good because there's no where around here that has good pizza like they do in New Jersey. (I then told him about Brooklyn Pizza and about my dad's pickiness with pizza, those crazy New Jersey boys!).

A few minutes or so later:

Dr. Fields: Well, clinically you look good.
Me: Have you talked to Dr. Bienvenu about the whole dysautonomia thing? (I then tell him all about seeing the endocrinologist)
Dr. Fields: (out of nowhere) Are you pregnant?
Me: No 
Dr. Fields: Okay, it was good seeing you, see you at the end of the month.

Okay, end of stories. As you can tell, there is never a dull moment during my appointments with Dr. Fields. I always come out laughing because of some of the things he says and the way he says them, but you don't realize they are funny until later on. Oh good times. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow....that's hilarious!!!
yeah i don't know many people like that and to tell you the truth none come to mind.....anyways did you see the House episode named TB NOT TB it had the tilt table test on it....pretty cool....good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! They have the best pizza! We will have to take you there. Dad said they are better than the pizza he got in Trenton the last time he was up. Even this Texas girl knows a good pizza when she gets one. Brooklyn Pizza!! The place to go for a good pizza fix.
MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey! They have the best pizza! We will have to take you there. Dad said they are better than the pizza he got in Trenton the last time he was up. Even this Texas girl knows a good pizza when she gets one. Brooklyn Pizza!! The place to go for a good pizza fix.
MOM

Anonymous said...

Dr Fields is the Radiologist or/and Bienvenu (SP?) the chemo guy? Right? Too many docs to keep them all straight! Are you still losing weight with all those intense hunger pains?????!!!!! I may drive to Auburn Sun the 12th to see yall after Chris' wedding - of course we need to know if it is doable for you two at a later date! All 3 of us made it to Boot camp this morn - Bill even did push ups and pull ups - both no no's with his hand.........I am surrounded by such stubborn people! Love you Steph MIL/Mom/sksb

Anonymous said...

Come to New York and I'll get you some good pizza!!! We can even journey over to Brooklyn if you want...

Anonymous said...

I love reading your website. You are so funny! Glad to hear you are doing so well.
Nancy Jackson