Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Reminders

In highschool and college I always had the habit of saying things like, "Ooooh, that looks like Mardi Gras" if something was purple, green, and gold, or if something was red and green, it might spark the response, "Hey look, it's Christmas." It was just my way of thinking. It snowed during exam week of my freshman year of college and my roommate and I sat in our dorm room trying to keep warm, cramming for our 50 million all - essay exams, listening to Jason Mraz. To this day, every time I listen to that cd, I get that exam week feeling all over again. The anxiety from the exams, the excitement over the snow, and I think about going upstairs and getting Ashley to go outside and play in the snow with me and make a snowman on top of a car and to slide down the hill behind Reid hall on our feet and just all the crazy emotions that come along with that. Just little reminders.

Well, the same thing still happens to me now, except the memories aren't quite as pleasant. Whenever I'm at work and going through the file cabinets, as I did back last spring, while (sometimes) hopped up on pain pills, I can smell the files and it brings back that crazy pain-pill induced feeling and I have to step back for a minute. When I'm walking through the Medical Plaza up to The Doctor in High Heel's office, the smell smacks me like a brick wall at 80 miles an hour. Mary Bird Perkins sometimes affects me the same way, but not as much for some reason. Usually the reminders come when I am in the actual place that the memory took place: the office, the medical plaza, Mary Bird, etc. But this past weekend, as we were walking up to our hotel room in the French Quarter, the hallway smelled like the Medical Plaza and it was just enough to give me that anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach every time we walked down the hallway. It's really not that big of a deal, it just happens, but as soon as the smell goes away, I'm fine. I just notice it. And I'm sure it will go away eventually and even if it doesn't it's just one more reminder of everything I've been through to get where I am today.

In other news we are going to have a full house this weekend because we have three friends that are coming to stay with us. Should be fun! And we had a good time in the French Quarter this past weekend. I'll post pictures from that later. The boys spent the weekend with my parents and woke them up bright and early every morning (which they don't do to us. Edgar at least waits until the alarm goes off before he starts begging for food) so they have been sort of lazy for the past couple of days.

Oh well, I'll be back later I guess.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess those reminder smells will just have to be redefined as "grace". Every time they hit you , just imagine God's arms around you!Josie and Luke and Jack, of course, are driving down to Luke's folk's as I type , for Luke's Dad's Mother's funeral. Wow , they have been home more since Thanksgiving than they have been in Loiusville! Luke's other grandmother died right after Thanksgiving. All three of the babies have been sick lately, but all are better now.
Lve you both,
YFA Joan