Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Well, Common Sense Would Tell You

I haven't really felt like actually writing much on here lately- that's why you all have gotten so many picture posts. I'm lazy, what can I say. The trip Tulsa was fantastic. The study is completely made over (except for paint and details). No tears were shed from the removal of the couch because, well, the couch only moved two rooms over into the garage. So, we have two new chairs, two new bookshelves, and a secretary in the study now. Oh, and my fancy telescope. Decorating will come later as will painting, because I really don't like painting. I think I'll put that off for as long as possible, at least until Warner caves and offers to do it all while I go out for a spa day. Ha. I'm a dreamer, can't you tell?

I'll let Warner tell you all about his Lasik. I only watched.

I met with Dr. Fields last week before I headed up to Tulsa. Everything looked good according to him. When I walked in, he looked around the room and behind the door and at me, several times and asked where Warner was. I don't know why he looked around so much, it's not like Warner was going to pop out from behing the jar of cotton ball and yell surprise or anything. He proceeded to tell me that some people never come with someone, and some people always come with someone, and I was one of those people that always comes with someone. Then, I told him, like I told Dr. Pou, that I was big girl and could go to doctor appointments alone. At the end of my appointment I asked Dr. Fields about my rash / hives thing and he proceeded to go into a long explanation. And I realized Dr. Fields is not the type of man that you can interrupt during story time to ask questions. You have to save them all until the end. When he finally got frustrated with my questions and interruptions, he told me to wait, and he walked over and sat down on his spinny chair. He said it's not necessarily normal, but it's not uncommon. He said it can be caused by the radiation, and it can be caused by the surgery, and when you put them both together, you're in trouble. Basically my lymphatic system in my face and neck are all closed up and any time the metabolic rate in that area is increased (in my case, by the sun) the lymph fluid gets trapped causing the swelling and itchy rash. So, over time they will become less - it will take 1 - 2 years for the lymphatic system to open back up. The rashes may never go away completely but they should occur less often. So much for my Walmart allergy theory (which I told to Dr. Fields, he didn't seem to amused). For now, Dr. Fields' words of wisdom are: "Well, common sense would tell you to avoid whatever is causing the issue" and then he proceeded to laugh with his self-amused laugh that he does when he thinks he says something funny - which is usually more often than he realizes. Oh Dr. Fields.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i guess i'm no longer the only one in the family who's allergic to the sun....oh well....lol ;)