Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Big 'Ol Scary Needles

So, obviously I survived my biopsy. The doctors were really good about giving me meds whenever I asked them during the procedure. The whole biopsy was done on the cat scan machine. They basically took several scans, marked my chest where they were going to stick the 5 bajillion needles in, and scanned again. I seriously had at least 10 shots of numbing stuff and each needle they put in was longer than the first. It was pretty crazy. I made the mistake of asking the doctor early on about what he was doing, so when he was about to insert the biopsy needle he showed me and explained to me how it worked. I asked for more Versed at this point. Then, they would stick the biopsy needle in my chest, scan me, and then take the biopsy when they confirmed it was in the right spot. This was repeated three more times. 

Then I was wheeled in to recovery for two hours. During those two hours I was on bed rest, which apparently means you can't get up at all. I mean seriously, AT ALL. I really had to go to the bathroom after the procedure so in walks the nurse with the bed pan, to which I responded, no really, I just need you to take off the blood pressure cuff, I can seriously walk across the hall to the bathroom. Well, needless to say, after arguing with everyone for a few minutes, I held it for two hours. There was no way I was going to use a bed pan when I was perfectly capable of walking 10 feet to the bathroom. Been there, done that, and it's no fun. 

Anyway, the day after I realized that the pain in my chest was probably comparable to being shot in the chest with a bullet. Man am I ever grateful for Vicodin. 

On another note, I asked the guy who did my surgery if I could keep my biopsy needle. He originally said it would be fine, but then the other guys involved didn't think it was a good idea. So, Warner took a picture of it instead.



So, I will leave you with a picture of the biopsy needle and we'll update about New Jersey another day. Try having that thing stuck in your chest 4 times. 

6 comments:

shay said...

That sounds terrible! I am sorry you had to go through that...my eyes were wide the entire time! Ha

I hope you had a wonderful trip!!!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Ok, you seriously deserve an "Atta Girl" for going through that with your eyes open! I would probably threaten to execute my latest (however feebly done) karate kick on anyone who showed me what they were doing. Seriously Steph, You are the greatest and I am so thankful and proud that we can call you "Ours" Our prayers are ever with you! Love you both Aunt Glen (Barney, the favoritest!)

Diane said...

YIKE!
Tell your doctor to keep that needle on the wall~!!!

Hey Stephanie and Warner,
You are both an inspiration to us!!!
And I know all your friends at Sager feel the same way!!!
:-)

Diane (for Dale, too)

Cindy said...

I've been wondering how you were doing! How was the trip to Gramma's for Easter? How are the "boys"?HUGS FROM ARKANSAS!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,you are something else!! I love reading your posts. They make me laugh and some make me sad, I am sorry you had to go through all that, you are an inspiration to everyone. I hope all results come back clear.
Oh, just incase you haven't heard, your gymnastics pal (Sherri) now has a promise ring.
We love you, Mrs. Robin

Anonymous said...

That is the biggest, ugliest needle I have ever seen...........WHEW! Did it leave huge holes in your skin? Hope your Grandmother enjoyed every minute with yall! Did Warner make a good impression?????!!!!!!! Love sksb