Thursday, April 16, 2009

Closing Down The Chemo Room

After our appointment with Heels yesterday we were told my oncologist would be calling tomorrow (today) to schedule an appointment to talk about treatment plans. Well, they did call and we did come in for an appointment and we did go over all the treatment options. And then he asked when I wanted to start. So we asked a few more questions and here we are, closing down the chemo room. We've been in the chemo room since 11 this morning and I still have about 2+ hours left. Treatment time will go faster from now on - they have to go slow on the first day to make sure you don't have a bad reaction to anything. 


Basically I go once every three weeks for treatment (I think - I'm double checking this when I leave) and I will have 6 cycles. So, I should be finished sometime in July. I am getting a crazy combination of drugs. I'm getting 5FU, Taxotere, and Cisplatin (which is the parent drug to Carboplatin which is what I had last time around).  I will lose my hair in a few weeks, but don't worry I've got some really cute scarves picked out. Aside from the main mass in my left lung, I do have some nodal involvement in my abdominal area along with another spot on my lower right lung, and the knot on my shoulder is also and tumor, as I pretty much expected, but the main concern is still the left lung. Surprisingly, my lungs are still clear whenever the doctors listen to my breathing which is good. Another good thing is that these tumors popped up extremely fast - the doctors pulled all my films and reconfirmed that there were no traces of cancer on the past films. Since the tumors grew fast it is a good sign that hopefully they will respond to the treatment better. I also got some drugs at first this time for high calcium levels in my blood, which is common with this type of cancer in the lungs. So, the meds will lower the calcium levels and give me more energy. I've noticed in the past week and a half or so that my energy levels have been dropping fast, so this should hopefully fix all of that. 

Since I've been here so long today, I've seen the majority of the people who have been here come and go. I talked to the guys next to me for a few minutes while Warner went to get lunch and my computer, and a book for him. He started the conversation out by saying "Man, you're awfully young for this." I wanted to tell him to tell me something I didn't know, but instead I just told him it was my second time around. He didn't stay for very long, he was just getting the home pouch / 24 hour treatment thing changed out. I've been listening to the two guys across the room from me and both of them were geologists, which is pretty neat. I still haven't seen anyone under the age of 40, maybe even 50, in here. So, maybe that's why everyone remembers me. 

And to clear up any confusion. I don't have lung cancer. I have pulmonary metastasis to my lung from my tongue. So, I have squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue, spread to my lung. And they treat it the same way they would if it were on my tongue. So, I have tongue cancer on my lung.

Well, I've got about 2 hours left, so I'm going to go do a crossword puzzle or something.

11 comments:

Hayley said...

Hi Stephanie,

Just wanted to say hi and I'm sending you lots of hugs! I don't really know what to say...but I'm thinking of you.

Oh. I wanted to tell you that I had the exact same chemo drugs as you're having. I would go in on a Monday and have the cisplatin and taxotere and then I'd take the 5FU home in a pump and it would finish on Friday. I don't know if you're having it the same way but I just thought I'd let you know.

I do jabber on a bit don't I lol.

Anyway, like I said, I'm thinking of you and if you fancy it, drop me an email for a chat or something (hayleydyer3@gmail.com)

Hayley

Anonymous said...

WHOA/WOE is me. Thank you so much for the clarification of everything. That makes rumors cease and desist! It also answers so many questions.....thank you, thank you , thank you! I am available for whatever you need whenever you need......as always, a heart filled with love for all 4 of you! sksb

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us in on everything. We love you so much and Warner, too. I will be praying for you ,as always.
Blessings to you and everyone you touch!
YFA Joan

Cindy McLean said...

Stephanie and Warner, I don't know what to say...kinda pulled the rug out from under me when I read your email this morning. You have such strong faith and "gumption" as my Granny would say. I wish I could "do" something ,except pray,of course. To say this sucks would be an understatement. I could quote alot of cliches' but I won't! You hang in there. I will continue to pray for healing, strength,encouragemnet for one another,peace,rest,and most of trust that God will see you thru this. Give the "boys" a big hug for me. HUGS FROM ARKANSAS!!!

Kem Jackson said...

Stephanie, I continue to pray for an abundance of strength for you to go through this. And Warner, I know a lot of that comes from you.
Remembering you both and praying often!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie and Warner. Nancy Jackson here. Thanks for the update. Your attitude and insight always amazes me! Around the dinner table tonight, my daughter, Summer, prayed for you. Thinking of you guys and praying for God's abundant grace.

Anonymous said...

Well, since it's pretty late and I talked to Susu, I am guessing the meds didn't make you sick.That's a good thing! We are ever praying for you both. Please know that you are loved! Thanks for all the clarification, it helps.
Love you both, much! YFA Barney

Diane said...

Hi Stephanie,

So glad to get an update from you. I'm going to keep our Sager Creek Prayer Partners updated on you, so you can be sure that there are lots and lots of prayers going up for you here in N.W. Arkansas. NEAT!!!
Just think..... people talking to God about you all the time, and it's all good!!!
:)

We love you.

Diane (for our Sager Creek Family)

The Frugal Muse said...

Stephanie and Warner,

Can't get you all off of my mind all day today. Just wanted you to know that many, many prayers are being offered up for you today from the Dees/Roebuck households.

Cherissa

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie and Warner. Just wanted to let you know that we check in regularly. Thanks for informing us on things. My kids ask how you are doing often. We are praying for you.

Nancy Jackson

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
I have been reading your blog for awhile but this is the first time I've left a comment. I know Susan and Bill-my husband is AF,too. You are being thought of and prayed for by our family. Warner, too. My husband also shared your story and you were prayed for at Officer's Christian Fellowship where he is deployed right now. I am so sorry you are having to go through this again. Melene