Monday, August 18, 2008

Dr. Kaplan - My Favorite Snappy Happy Plastic Surgeon

This morning I had an appointment with Dr. Kaplan, my plastic surgeon who was in on the surgery and was in charge of my arm an the skin graft and such. And apparently he is the official photographer as well. Since my first visit before the surgery, Dr. Kaplan has always taken pictures of my tongue (to show the progression) and my arm. Well apparently he also took pictures during my surgery and....wait for it....I GOT TO SEE THEM TODAY at my appointment. That's right, I saw pictures of my neck dissection with my skin pulled up over my face - and Warner did too. Warner had been saying he was going to ask if there was a video of my surgery (which there is not) so I guess this was the second best thing. He showed us all the vessels and stuff and then he showed us a picture after they connected the flap to the vessels down in my neck. Then he showed us another picture of my tongue right as the surgery ended. I looked rough! I was super duper swollen and had some blood on me. Also, instead of a trach in my neck in the pictures it was just a tube that I'm sure was connected to a ventilator or something. I have come a LONG way since then and that's why he showed us the pictures - so we could see how much progress I've made. So, if you're wondering why my surgery took 14 1/2 hours it's probably because Dr. Kaplan stopped every 5 minutes to take pictures (HA, just kidding). He took pictures of my tongue and my arm today in his photo studio - yeah, he has a photo studio set up in his office because he takes a lot of before and after pictures of people that come through and have work done. So, that's my big news today! I don't have to go back to see Dr. Kaplan anymore, unless I want to see the pictures from my surgery again I guess!!! 


I also had Dr. Kaplan look at my PEG tube to see if I needed to have the Gastro doctor check it out. It's been kinda swollen and around it and I think it's infected or not in the right spot anymore and it's kind of oozy (it always has been but it's different now). So, he is ordering a Cat scan to check it out to make sure it's nothing serious - but he thought it looked good compared to some people and it didn't look infected to him. I think they should just pull it out. I started taking all my meds today by mouth - my vitamin is going to kill me (it's liquid and tastes like well, it tastes gross, I don't know how to describe it). So, I'm not using my feeding tube at all at the moment - as long as I keep eating as much as I can. So far today I've had peaches, yogurt, pudding, and some soup that didn't taste very good so I didn't eat much, and some juice. I might have some eggs in a little bit. I'm just eating small meals more often for now. When I first started I never got hungry because I was doing the feeding pump as well but now that I've stopped using it, I actually get hungry, but I haven't started craving any foods (except sweets which I can't taste) so it's hard to figure out what to eat. 

Okay, I think I need a short nap / a really long one. I start back to physical therapy tomorrow afternoon so I need to rest up for that! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHEW!!!!! Did you get quesy looking at those pictures???? I can not even imagine looking at pics of my neck being peeled back....I bet you couldn't even believe it was rally you! WHOA IS ME....REAL FOOD!!!!!!!! How wonderful is that????? I am so impressed - Stephanie you have made such HUGE strides just in the last week! And, isn't it a good thing you can taste those YUCKY vitamins???????? Are you actually able to swallow your pills in pill form???????? I put praises out yesterday on our prayer list because you are actually swallowing! i SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN MORE! Have a great nap LOVE the Illinois Bradleys

Anonymous said...

Awwww Steph... that is so sweeet to hear...... u are eating... thats awesome.... im just gettin where i can eat some stuff feel like cryign most of the time or do have tears but wow.. u are so great....pictures i prob would have gotten queasy if i had looked at mine they asked me if i wanted to but i said umm naaahhhh......keep me updated girl..... and keep up the good job...i knwo im takin vitamins and couldnt imagine the liquid i can taste it in teh pill when that sucker gets stuck...

Paula said...

Get some copies of those pictures! I want to see!

And I know I'm the worst best friend in the entire world (I'm sorry). I promise we'll talk this week. I have to take pics and show you the color my roomie picked for her room. It's the same color green as on the Diet Coke with LIme can.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, In my mere eyes you are as special as all those GOLD,SILVER,BRONZE winning olympians! They may have a tricket,but you my friend HAVE LIFE! Praise God! As for the yukky vitamins...try in a bit of apple juice.Continue praying for you in Arkansas! Love, Cindy

dawn w. said...

Isn't it great to say you have your own "Plastic Surgeon". You're ready for Hollywood. We always knew you'd make it some day. :)

If you do get copies of the pictures, I'd love to see them. Those sound awesome!!!

It's great to hear that you can eat completely on your own now. I'm just praying that soon you'll be able to taste the good stuff.

Always thinking of you and Warner and praying for you.

Love ya,

Dawn W.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed! I had NO IDEA that you were eating all your calories and not using the PEG at all! And I agree with the other commenters--even tasting bad is better than no taste! You are on the road to complete recovery it sounds like!You know we have been praying for God to heal you so why are we surprised by the progress? Your and Warner's faithfulness to give Him the glory is such a reminder of His economy! You have been blessed--TO BE A BLESSING! I love you both so much--and I confess I , too would love to see the pics! Hope to see you and HUG you really soon. O, yeah , I will be praying for you AND your physical therapist as you work out together.
Blessings,
YFA Joan

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Stephanie, I just finished reading this article from the last month's Reader Digest. The title (or was it the subtitle) caught my attention, for I only read the RD for the humor parts (can you believe that I would skip over articles, since I was such a bookworm--but this should tell you how busy I am at home, not being able to sit back and relax with some leisure reading).

Anyway....to the point, the RD article was detailed in this 40-something man's experience in having a similar Sx experience (his was more about the throat). To read his words of what he has been thinking and what he has learned since he found out about the diagnosis of his throat hurting that he had to wash down with licodine every five minutes--I realized that I still do not know what you have been through since May and what you really experience. I have been reading your postings; and, I once thought I knew what you meant even though I did not know what it felt like. But now I know that I do not know even 50% of what you mean after having read that article.

And...that realization made me MORE aware of God's hand in sustaining you. Oh, that you have stayed and still are staying awesome throughout this, I can only be in awe of your willingness to have humor and that you're sharing with all of us.

Only last week, I had to take several days' worth of antibiotics for this little bacterial infection. I never had such reaction to antibiotics before, and I knew God is showing me a glimpse of what it's like to be nauseated constantly day after day. That I know what it's like to be both ravenous and nauseated, and that I did not want to eat but I do want just to taste that just to enjoy the taste but I did not eat for fear of making myself even more nauseated. Additionally, I felt worn out; my brain was tired, that I just had to lay my head down to give it rest. My darling husband took wonderful care of me. He made sure that I got everything I needed, and that I was comfortable as possible. With that care and attention, I know it's a blessing to have a wonderful husband making sure you are okay and that you are still staying awesome. Warner, stay awesome too!

To have that glimpse, I could only wonder how you have gone day by day for months. Thank you, Stephanie, for keeping your eyes on the Lord and trusting in Him. For He is trusting you to bring Him glory by inspiring the rest of us with your faith. Please do keep posting and yes, do get the copies of the photos.

in His grace...

Anonymous said...

love you

dado

Anonymous said...

see comment 11 in previous post

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, where are the posts?
Looking forward to hearing the latest news.
Will see you this weekend.

Love you always,

Dado