Saturday, August 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Charlie - Here's Another Hurricane To Make It More Exciting!

I love storms. I love lightning and thunder and hail and everything about severe storms. I even like the threat of tornadoes. The possibility of some danger and some excitement - DRAMA. I love hurricanes, maybe because I grew up outside of New Orleans. I still to this day, when storms threaten the coast, get that excited feeling in my gut, and I find myself looking up school closures. It's that same feeling I got when I was still in school and would wake up and turn on the tv to the school board channel to see if school was closed that day. It was a big deal. And the schools where I grew up are closed until Wednesday - at least. I care, and I'm not even in school there, I haven't been in five years. Hurricane days became snow days when I went to college, except people don't freak out about snow in Arkansas like they do about hurricanes in Louisiana, and school rarely closed.

With Gustav off the coast, I find myself wanting to pick up my cell phone and call Dr. Pou and ask her a million questions - but that would totally be abusing my cell phone privileges. I want to know what she's thinking, if she's freaking out, is she on call at the hospital for this storm, is she packing up and leaving?? I want to know these things, but it's none of my business. I'll just have to wait until some newspaper interviews her since she's almost synonymous with Katrina and Gustav is being compared to Katrina.

It's my brother's birthday today, and the poor guy has to worry about another hurricane instead of enjoying his birthday! The anniversary of Katrina was yesterday, and his birthday is today - crazy. I told him he should just move his birthday to another day so he could actually go out and celebrate or do something with friends instead of packing up all his stuff and getting out of town (but I guess that could be fun depending on where you evacuate to).

We are enjoying being in Tulsa. I miss our house here and I especially miss our bed (it's pretty much amazing) - I've slept soooo good the past two nights. Warner decided to start working on our new entertainment center and we went and bought the wood and picked out the stain for it today at Lowes. This afternoon Warner stained the wood and it's sitting in our garage stinking it up right now! We figured we may have an extra day or so up here while we are waiting for Gustav to clear out, so we figured we would have some time to get a project done!

Yesterday we had a cookout with Shauna and Todd and Jackson. Todd cooked burgers on the grill and they were really good! I was quite impressed that Jackson remembered me a little bit(he's two) but the other day when we went down to visit he walked in and yelled "Girlfriend!" because they have always called me his girlfriend! He's talking like crazy and is becoming more independent - it's crazy! Tomorrow we are going to Siloam and Fayetteville for church and to see some friends. I'm excited, it's been a while since we have been up here!

Okay, that's what I've got for now. It's almost bed time because we will be up early in the morning!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go , Girlfriend! I am always so amazed and encouraged when I read your blogs--and so disappointed when I pull it up and there isn't a new post. Warner, we haven't heard from you in a while--guess you were really earnibng your paycheck the last few weeks. Guess doing projects and woodworking is genetic- you, Richard, Hank and Brad all do lots of that stuff. Steph, How 'bout eating a burger! I love you both,
Blessings, YFA Joan

Anonymous said...

Have Fun Yall Love ya sooooo much MIL/Mom/sksb
PS I share your love for hurrricanes!

gordon said...

When you get to fayetteville see if you can get chris to give up some his books, amber got him some new ones from her new class, warner may enjoy them. I guess by now you've seen chris's new hair cut....sorry about that

Anonymous said...

We are really enjoying your cable TV, much better than ours. I hope we don't lose it to early into the storm tomorrow. Maggie and Eliza took a nice long LEISURE walk around the lake this morning. Wear them out so they will sleep all day. Dad is working on his fishing reel. We are determined to make it to Yellowstone next weekend. You finally got to eat that hamburger. I'm sure it was the best one you had ever had. Enjoy your house and we will keep your apt. from big bad Gustav.
MOM

Anonymous said...

Gustav always reminds me of Beauty and the Beast....am i alone on that front??? i mean really...isnt that the name of the one guy thats like in love with belle???

oh well
i guess not everyone can be a disney freak like me

love you guys so much

anna

ps ;)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

I was so thankful to see you at church yesterday. Don and I have been praying for you since you found out about the cancer. YOU LOOKED GREAT!!!!

I hope you get to come back to visit soon.

Blessings,
Barb Maples

Diane said...

Stephanie and Warner,

It was so great seeing you at church yesterday. What a wonderful surprise!!! They brought up in our Sunday School class that you were here. Everyone reacted with much joy. You've been in the prayers of so many at church, and we will continue to pray for your complete healing.

On our way home from church we talked about how good you looked. You made our day!!! We love you both. Hope you can come back again soon.

Diane (for Dale, too)