Sunday, November 9, 2008

You Should Probably Take Two


So, I started taking my blood pressure medication yesterday (Saturday). I take 2.5 milligrams at seven, noon, and four (most people have to take much more but I started out on a really low dose). When I got to Paula's house I noticed a small red patch on my cheek, but I didn't think too much of it, because I figured it was just dry from the cold air. Yesterday Paula and I went to a football watch party at her friend's house and I noticed the patch had gotten a little bigger, but I wasn't too worried, so I popped my four o'clock pill. We left the party a little early to go to the Birmingham Christmas craft show - which was amazing. I noticed the red patch was now out of control. I decided at this point I would still take the medicine the next day and see what happens and then call my doctor on Monday - I wasn't quite convinced at this point that it was the medication. Well, as the night progressed my neck and lower face were starting to swell some and my skin was hot and everywhere that was red felt like it was bruised and my poor neck muscles were much tighter than normal. I googled midodrine side effects and all the side effects I was having said to seek emergency care - I wasn't about to go to the hospital at this point because I was fine except for the swelling and the rash (I was still breathing fine) - it was just annoying. At this point I decided I would not be taking the meds again the next day. I didn't want to take any benadryl without talking to the doctor because I know that some of the blood pressure medications don't interact very well with certain drugs. So, I stuck it out over night - Paula kept waking up in the middle of the night to see if I was still breathing. 

We went to church this morning and after lunch we ventured out to the pharmacy to ask them about drug interactions. I asked him if I could take the benadryl after having taken the Midodrine and he looked at me and said "Ummm, you might want to take two!" To which I replied, "Do I really look that bad?" Then, he asked me if my tongue was swollen. Poor guy, at this point he had no clue what he was about to hear. Haha, I told him that No, it's not swollen, I had tongue cancer and I always sound like this now. We all kind of laughed - I laughed hard, but I think he was a little nervous. So anyway, I am now taking benadryl, but it's not really helping yet. My face and neck are now itchy and they are still very red. My face definitely looks worse now than it did earlier today when I took this picture. The picture does not properly display my swollen double chin and the extent of the swelling on my neck. And, my face is much redder in person! Sorry this is a bad picture of me! Ha!



In other news, Paula and I went on a short hike in Oak Mountain State Park to a nonexistent waterfall - there was barely any water, but the fall colors were still pretty. After we went and ate dinner at the Arnolds' and hung out over there for a little bit - I was a bit of a party pooper and kept nodding off while we were talking because of the benadryl. Shane and Shauna showed up as well. Now I'm back in Paula's bedroom with an itchy face, waiting for the benadryl to serenade me to sleep! So, here are some pictures from the day.







I've started doing this weird thing that I keep my shoulders up towards my ears. I'm working on it though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sufficiently WORRIED!!!!!!! Are you calling the endccrinologist ASAP????????? Or even Dr. Pou? You have her personal cell!!!!!! Stephanie you are too brave sometimes! That poor pharmacist......LOVE YOU ......Have FUN with Paula MIL/Mom/sksb

Anonymous said...

Look what happens when I miss a few days of reading the blog! I agree with your MIL--have you called a ( any of the many--your pick) doctor back in Louisiana yet? Do you think hoofing it two miles home from the AU - Ark game is the cause of all this? Let us hear soon what's going on. love you much!
YFA Joan

gordon said...

Ditto