Friday, March 6, 2009

I'm Taking Out A Full Page Ad In The Classifieds

Two weeks ago, when my wonderful mother-in-law came to visit for the weekend, I so lovingly announced that I was beginning my search for new in-laws. I do not remember what prompted me to make this statement, but I said it nonetheless. Her response to my statement was that I would have to find a new husband as well, but rest assured, I'm keeping him, it's just new in-laws that I'm after. And so that you know my search is justified, let me tell you a little story:


A few years ago (not too many though, because we've only been married a few years and a half, and maybe it was only a year ago) we were in Alabama for some holiday, maybe Easter, but I don't remember exactly. Me, being the wonderful wife that I am, spent the morning slaving over a hot iron, ironing my husbands clothes for church. And as a sidenote - I don't iron creases in the front of pant legs or on shirt arms. Some things are just not worth the effort. So, after everything was ironed to a crisp, I brought it to Warner to put on so we could hurry up and get ready. We were all standing around waiting to go when my mother-in-law looks at my husband in his perfectly ironed outfit and says in that appalled, motherly voice, "Ooooh Warner, would you like me to iron your pants for you." Now, let me remind you that we were ALL standing around in earshot of this - cousins, aunts, uncles, Warner's grandmother, etc. Warner so wonderfully replied, "No, Stephanie has already ironed them for me." And let it be known that I have never ironed another article of clothing in her presence since then. 

So, although I can't remember the exact reason I proclaimed I was searching for new in-laws, I am convinced that it was justified!



(And no, I'm really not looking for new ones - the ones I have are quite entertaining and they definitely make life more interesting!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't she do that at dad's retirement too???

Anonymous said...

Steph I have to stand up for all
50*year-old women and especially mothers-in-law! It is VERY HARD to be either of those! On one hand you want to relate to this YOUNG woman your son adores and you still hear your own mother's voice telling you how things "are done"--So give Susu the benefit of loving her JUST LIKE SHE IS and credit for loving you JUST LIKE YOU ARE! Keep keeping us posted on your medical stuff--we are still praying(most men think Angelina Jolie's lips are perfect!) Your life witness to the goodness of God in all situations pleases Him(and that includes your relationship to your INLAWS-O, since your Father-in -law is my little brother I guess I am takig up for him as well!)
Love,
YFA(unless I just lost that distinction)Joan