Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Yes, Another Post About The Dogs

Edgar is psycho about tennis balls. I have to hide them from him or else he will keep bringing it to you to throw, over and over and over again. And if you think you can ignore him so that he will eventually give up and go play with Ruekie, think again, this little booger is persistent. He will just keep picking the ball up and dropping it by you, or on your foot, or on the chair next to you, until you give in to the pressure.

Okay, all that was to lead in to telling you about our new game that we started a couple weeks ago and ended today. When I take the boys out to play, sometimes I bring a ball out with us to throw for them,. They don't need it, they entertain each other just fine without it, but I do like to be nice sometimes. I usually hide the ball in my pocket on the way out, or use it as bait to keep Edgar from pulling on the leash. It's funny to watch him walk sideways while staring at the ball because he will end up walking in to everything. No, he does not get that from me. By the time we are headed back inside, the ball is a slimy, slobbery, soaking wet mess and I don't want to touch it (usually about half way through I give up throwing the ball and let them chase each other for it).

So the game we started was that I would let psycho dog (Edgar) carry the ball back to the apartment. If he dropped it, I would tap a couple feet with my foot and tell him to get his ball and he would get it and proudly keep on carrying it. It worked like a charm. He would carry it the entire way back and maybe drop it once or twice and I would have him drop it on the porch outside. Well, now the game has turned into him dropping the ball every two feet while we are walking, or him throwing the ball foward and chasing after it. It would roll under cars and of course he would go nuts because he couldn't get it out. Well, game over! I had to carry that nasty, slobbery, soaking wet, drool fest back to the apartment today because it took us like 5 minutes to walk 5 feet. So what was a really good game in theory has backfired in my face! I guess the little punk is smarter than we give him credit for - he knows exactly what he is doing!

Oh, and Ruekie? Yeah, he's pretty much perfect. Except I caught him up on the bed in the middle of the night last night. The little punk.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I love the doggie stories! It is almost like they get mentally "HOOKED" AND "HAVE TO HAVE IT!!" Hope you have a great day.Is your lip better?HUGS FROM ARKANSAS!!!