Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th!

Last year on the 4th of July we enjoyed going to an "Ice Cream Social" with our church. It's held right across the street from the airport where the Siloam Springs fireworks are. This was a really good evening, I played football with some guys, Stephanie held some babies and took lots of pictures. We saw and got to hang out with plenty of people we really enjoyed. This was all set against the back drop of preparing to embark on new adventure as we had just purchased our house and were getting ready to move into it.
This year was much the same in the enjoyment factor, we traded Siloam for Luling and the fireworks on the 4th for the fireworks on the 3rd. We also traded our Siloam friends for Stephanie's family, and the ice cream stayed at their house and didn't come to the fireworks show.
What is vastly different is the back drop. Sometimes I'm still in shock and disbelief that we are where we are. I remember the morning Stephanie told me vividly, and I remember thinking this couldn't be true. I remember getting pushed ahead of everyone in line for our first appointment with Dr. Pou, and I remember knowing she owuld come in and look at Stephanie and tell us Dr. Regan had made a mistake, the ulcer wasn't cancer. Now we're two months and a few days from that point, we've started a routine I will be glad to finish, with radiation every day and chemo every Monday.
Today I learned the real definitions of two words that will mean a lot to both of us. Remission: having no sign of cancer in the body
Cured: being in remission for five years
Five years has never seemed so long away.
Like Stephanie said, on Tuesday she will be halfway through radiation, we will be halfway through this awful routine. Unfortunately it is shaping up to be a steeper slope to climb than the first half. But I have faith in my wife to be tough (she's been the toughest one through all this), and I have faith in God that in His plan this is as it should be.
Thank you for all your love and prayers and have a happy 4th, we certainly did!

4 comments:

Kasey said...

I love this post. And I got better news for you since I never seem to pick up my phone, I'll just post it. I got off when I was not suppose to after all, so I will see you in two weeks for a couple days. Plan on it.

Diane said...

Hi Stephanie and Warner,

We continue to follow your progress and continue to pray for you. I just sent another prayer request out to our Prayer Partners for you... sharing some things that you said on your blog.

You are an inspiration to all of us. We love you.

Diane (for Dale, too)
:-)

Anonymous said...

am not showing favorites will write in yours too Wahnah! Fireworks pic was great Steph! W, you made me cry again with your writings! Love you both AND the fur-kids! Mom/Mil/sksb

Anonymous said...

Hope you get good news and more answers on Monday. Praying for you to have an awesome week! Arkansas loves you! Cindy McLean