Monday, July 7, 2008

There’s A Paula Shaped Hole In Louisiana (and my heart…)


That’s right, Paula has finally ditched me for Birmingham to find a husband further her education. I guess it’s all text messages and emails for us from now on (since I still don’t really talk on the phone). Sad day. What’s a girl to do with her best friend 396 miles away? The especially sad part is I can’t indulge in junk food to help me wallow in self pity. Stupid cancer - ruining my misery.

Haha, actually, I’m very excited that Paula is headed off to school. Not because she’s leaving me, but because she’s gonna be all smart and educated and get herself a real job and she’s supposed to come visit me in like two weeks. I just wanted to make you all feel bad for me and maybe make Paula cry, because I’m a punk like that.


I got some medicine on Saturday for thrush (apparently you can diagnose it over the phone) and it’s clearing up nicely. The bad taste in my mouth is disappearing and I can taste a little better – except for sweet stuff, yeah, those taste buds are zapped and that makes me sad, almost as sad as Paula leaving me. I’m craving apple juice, but I can’t really taste it, so it’s not the same, and most stuff burns my mouth. Tomorrow is the half way point and I keep telling myself that I only have 16 more after that! Then a few weeks for the mouth sore to go away and then we’ll play the rest of the recovery by ear. I’m hoping it will be fast since I have not lost any weight (I even gained some today).


I saw my radiation oncologist for like 2 minutes today. Apparently if I want him to spend any time talking to me or examining me I need to be a worse patient. He walked in, looked at my charts, said my weight was great, and my blood was great, and to keep it up. I told him that I had lost almost all the hair on that back part of my head and he was like, yeah, that’s a side effect. Such sympathy. I was only telling him in case he wanted to keep track of all my side effects, apparently that’s not that important of a symptom in the grand scheme! My dietician and chemo nurses laughed about that story when we told him. Apparently Dr. Fields has a reputation for telling you like it is and having no sympathy, he’s all business.


I slept through chemo – they got my IV in on the first try, which was a huge relief. Usually they have to dig for my vein or try like four times. Then Warner and I went and saw Wall-e. It was cute - A good distraction from my mouth sores and everything that’s going on. Tonight the guys from work came over and Warner grilled some bratwurst for dinner. I don’t like brats, but they sure did smell good out there cooking. I schooled Mike in Guitar Hero. He was talking major smack and I totally showed him how it’s done. Now I’m going to bed early, because I am WORN OUT!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

first to comment AGAIN...did i spell again right???? i don't know how to spell anything anymore

i mean i've been spelling josh johs....no joke

anyways i'm glad that you can taste every(most)things again!!!

love ya♥

anna

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, What a BUSY day for you. Got some answers I see. Got a positive email from Kerwin about you and Warner! Can you send your mailing address?Or can the church in Siloam give it to me? Hope you have an
awesome next few days and YES you are 1/2 way done with treatment!!!!!Sending you encouragment and prayer from Arkansas! Cindy McLean

Anonymous said...

love you guys and Sager is praying.

Marie

Paula said...

There's a Stephanie shaped hole in my heart! (there might be a little bit of a Warner hole too... but it's closing fast.)

You punk. You know how to make a girl cry. Glad the thrush is getting better. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Steph,
As always, you minister to me--especially the laughter part! I am counting the days(treatments) with you! Sooo glad it was the thrush causing some of your problems! You are the first topic of conversation with most everyone I speak to. Lots of praying going on(and that is a very good thing for each of us) Have you found the CD I sent you yet? I really do love it! Remember it is #3 that I sing(pray) for you!
I love you,
YFA Joan

Anonymous said...

WHOA IS ME!!!!!! Fabulous news that the thrush was partially the cause of no taste....also fab news they stuck you on the first try!!!!!! Lots of great things occurring on Mon! I miss yall so much - glad Mike was the guppy to try guitar hero and not me!!!!!!! Did Sandy, Jim, Joyce, Lance and Michelle all come over? A house full! Give the grand pups a kiss from SuSu please when you see them today! Hooray HALF WAY THROUGH!!!!! LUF MIL/Mom/sksb

Anonymous said...

PS......GREAT PIC OF PAULA!!!!!!!!!SKSB

Kasey said...

Apparently it's cool to be the first to least a comment, cause I hear that a lot. haha And you better believe I'm gonna do my hardest to talk you into shaving that head while I'm down there, I might even go buy some clippers for it. We can watch V for Vandetta and you can see what's her name still looks hott with a shaved head. We can even watch GI Jane if need be. There's plenty of movies with this theme but those two came to mind first, haha.

Todd Stewart said...

Steph, It is good to see that everything is going well. I finally signed Shauna, Jackson and I up to comment on your blog. We miss you so much and admire your strength. We have prayed for you daily and it is obvious that God is listening. Your upbeat attitude and "take it in stride" personality is something we can all learn from. Jackson misses his girlfriend so you need to come back to Sand Springs so he can see you. We love you. --Dont get too good at Guitar Hero! I dont want to lose to you.

Todd