Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Feel Like I Should Be Sitting At Starbucks With My New Mac Writing This Blog...Like All The Cool Kids

I am hocking up loogies like you would NOT believe (they can basically fill a washcloth). Seriously, it's all I do...all day long. I have those dang mouth ulcers as well so it makes blowing mucus out of your throat and mouth uncomfortable. My throat is pretty raw from not being able to drink much (basically I take a sip of water and immediately rinse with salt water because that soothes the ulcers from the thrush and mucositis) and I'm sure it's pretty torn up from the radiation, I mean if the inside of my throat is anything like the outside, it's going to take some time to heal up, I just want to keep swallowing (however little that may actually be) so my throat doesn't close up, it just BURNS my tongue (I've tried water and tea, the only thing that doesn't burn is salt water - WEIRD!) I'm taking pain pills for the ulcers and I have a lidocaine mouthwash that isn't so magic (it lasts like 5 minutes), Robitussin for the loogies, and nystatin for the thrush, so I've got my bases covered in the pain management area. 



This morning I didn't get my Robitussin as early as I needed for it to work during treatment (my PEG tube got clogged so we were running late and I had to unclog it in the car) so I spent the whole treatment time trying to get the mucus out of the back of my throat and up the bite piece - it has a hole in the middle - while laying on my back. By the end, I had hocked enough up there and hard enough that it was coming out the top - my tech, Josh, said that was quite gross and then he went and washed it off for me while I spit what was left in my mouth in my washcloth and he watched helplessly with a disgusted look on his face. He felt really bad for me and he kept asking if he could do anything or get anything for me, but basically the only thing I can do for it is to just get it all up! 


So, enough about mucus...gross. I'm done with TOMO! Never again! I just have to survive tomorrow's treatment in full gear (mask, neck bolus, and bite plate) and I'll be on my way to healing! I meant to bring my camera today to treatment but because my PEG tube got clogged I left the house without it - the plan is to bring it tomorrow, or at least to remember my phone. I did get more flowers from Warner today and I spent some time taking pictures of them and using Aperture to edit them. I just have no clue how to get them from Aperture (I don't know the program very well yet) to the blog, so, you're just going to have to wait.  I even have one of my neck for you all to see how red it is, but alas, you will just have to be patient!


I am very ready for tomorrow to be over (If I haven't mentioned that yet). The good thing is, my treatment is at 9:30am and not 6:00am like all my Tomo treatments were, granted I'm up about every 1-2 hours at night hocking up loogies anyway, so sleep doesn't happen as much anymore. I go back to see Dr. Fields in two weeks, he was kind enough to give me a week off, but I have to go see Dr. Bienvenue on Monday because apparently my white blood cell count was getting a little low (not low enough to not get chemo on Monday or to really be concerned, he was just out of town so his partner thought he might want to see me on schedule), so I don't really get the day off. 


So, Todd and Julie will be here on Saturday and I'm looking forward to having some company. Friday and Saturday are also tax free shopping days in Louisiana! Hmm...What should I buy?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last night! Wow!
Last treatment tomorrow!
I'll say more later, but it's a great day today.
I am just so grateful for today and seeing the end to this phase.
I look forward to seeing you this weekend and enjoying your return to you!
I just want to say I love you and I am so looking forward to our time together.

Love

Dad

gordon said...

I keep reading, in total amazement at the strength and courage that you and warner continue to show us, thank you.

Anonymous said...

What to buy....first a card for Warren,your "dang tee shirt" and something for the house.Oh and let's not forget the DOGS! Whatever you do to celebrate,take pictures and let us be a part of it! Hugs from Arkansas! Cindy

Anonymous said...

hooray- you are having your LAST treatment as I hunt and peck this comment. Have I ever told you I am the only person in the history of Auburn Univ. to take typing pass/fail! Anyway, I'm glad I read the blog right now so I could pray while you were still being zapped! Healing --here she comes! Did I tell you Uncle Sonny and I are HOOKED (as in obsessed) on Lost. We are watching the first 3 seasons on DVD and hoping season 4 is out this week so we can be totally caught up before season 5 starts. I love you both--hope to see you soon!
YFA Joan