Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Very Own Episode of Grey’s Anatomy – Complete with My Very Own Dr. Burke

That’s right, I had an appointment with Dr. Pou today and when I went to the back and got weighed (161 if you’re curious, keep thinking fat!) I turned around and surprise! Dr. Burke! Apparently she was helping out with clinicals today! I haven’t seen her since my last day in the hospital (although one might think I was best friends with her and Dr. Pou and ate lunch with them every day based on how much I talked about them, yeah, I don't have a problem). So we chit chatted for a second, as best as one chit chats with half a tongue, and I went to my room. Dr. Burke came in and examined me first and got caught up with what’s been going on since I left the hospital. I assumed I was only seeing Dr. Burke that day since she was there but lo and behold, in walks Dr. Pou! They both stuck mirrors down my throat and gagged me several times (they quickly pulled the mirrors out each time, I think they were afraid of being thrown up on, and rightfully so, my gag reflex works like a charm). I had another stitch cut out (there was a close call with almost having my lip cut off – it got in the way because I didn’t pull it down far enough out of the way, but I’m okay, no blood, but almost, and Dr. Pou felt really bad). So I’ve got the all clear to start radiation and chemo now. I will also be starting physical therapy for my shoulders from the neck surgery. Mell apparently has been raving to Dr. Pou about my speaking and swallowing abilities – but if you’ve ever met Mell you know she is excited about EVERYTHING which at first was overwhelming, but it’s growing on me now. At least Dr. Pou said she was bragging about me. So if you can’t understand me when I talk, take it up with my speech therapist, she apparently thinks I'm awesome. I got the tape taken off my trach spot – it’s all closed up now - so I won’t have to rip that off every night anymore and I'm so excited about that!


The visit ended with Dr. Pou hugs all around and her commenting on Warner's sad *edit* puppy dog eyes (I originally said doe eyes but she really said puppy dog, I blame the drugs). Haha, it made me laugh...out loud. She asked how our parents were doing and how we were doing, and we said everyone was doing well (so if you're not, humor us and say you are).


In other news, my spit sucker and I are growing apart. Since I can take more by mouth I’m trying to drink more water and Gatorade to control my drool so I haven’t used the spit sucker for most of the day. I still use it at night about once or twice, but nothing like I used to. Eating and drinking also keeps the nasty taste out of my mouth that used to gag me. I even ventured out today to the doctor without it! ACK!!! It was scary, not really, I was fine and just sipped water a lot.


So, no more appointments until Monday, when most of the day will be spent at the hospital - starting at 6am. I have appointments at 6, 8:15, 9:30, and like 1:00 and 2:00 or something like that and I have to meet the dietitian in between– a bunch!


Kaylie mentioned in a comment that it's like I'm living out Grey's Anatomy and it kind of is. Especially when they were trying to figure out the pneumonia, and they were running all kinds of tests - but as Warner said, it's never cancer on Grey's Anatomy. Plus, my Dr. Burke is still on the show!

4 comments:

Carol Hennessy said...

Steph,
So happy to see you still have your sense of humour. Andre has been following your progress while in Prague, she returns this evening (yeah!). Alan's Mom in Ireland reads all your posts and is very impressed with the faith and strength you and Warner share.
My co-workers ask daily about how well you are doing. You are in so many friends and families thoughts and prayers. Hope this gives you strength as you move into the next step of your treatment. Love and prayers, Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Hey There! Again another posting invoking lots of smiles - thanks! Honestly Steph, there are days your writngs are the only things I find amusing!!!!!! Sounds like you're good to go - I am trying desperately to transfer my fat from me to you.......you are constantly in my prayers - and as Aunt Carol said you have touched so many lives....LOve you and your Hubbo! Mil/mom

Anonymous said...

were doing well! (humor)
seriously, keep eating and we'll be happy!
see you soon.
I see Cabela's in your future.

Dad

Sandie said...

You really should write a book. Your posts are very entertaining considering the subject matter. LOL I would gladly transfer my fat to you, and I am sure I could find a dozen other people who would happily agree too, if we could figure out a way. :-) Hope all goes well with the radiation and chemo. Praying!