Friday, June 13, 2008

No More Tape Please

I decided against using the Amifostine. I like the idea of it, but I had some serious reservations about using it – one of which was being strapped down in my radiation mask for therapy and throwing up and not being able to do anything about it. I also didn't want it to protect the healthy cells and in doing so, protect the cancer cells as well - I only get one shot at this whole radiation thing (chemo can be done again) and I want to do it right and get my tshirt. So, I opted out. I'm doing the most up to date radiation therapy that there is - Tomotherapy - and that has increased accuracy and has helped in trying to spare the Parotid Gland in some patients. So it's up to God now and whatever happens will happen, and I'll be okay with it - I'll just buy coordinating water bottles to go with my outfits (do I have oufits??? I don't know....my mom has outfits, I'm not ready to have outfits, right?) if I have to. We pulled the tape off my leg from the skin graft site and oh man, that was awful - I screamed a few times, hyperventilated, and kicked my legs violently a few times. I will give Dr. Kaplan a piece of my mind at my next appointment about all this tape he’s been putting on my body (actually I’ll probably just sit there and cry as he pulls the tape off my arm).


So apparently things are getting dull on my end of the line as I've had several requests for more pictures and stories about Edgar. I don't have much by way of stories about him. He's a puppy, he does puppy things, like sneak attacks, trips on his feet, runs into things, and whines like you would not believe - the big baby. If you come see us, please refrain from making whining noises at him because he will go into full pathetic mode, complete with whining and crawling into your lap and getting right into your face. So, to bribe you all to come visit my blog here's a picture of the little punk:




I'm just kidding about the dull part, I know you all still tune in because of me. I am famous after all - in my own mind at least - and who doesn't like to keep up with the lifestyles of the rich and famous (well, the famous at least)? So because I know you all love me, here's a picture of me from when I left the hospital (notice my hair had not been washed in eleven, count it, ELEVEN days - that's a record for me).





I'll post more up to date pictures of me next time I wash my hair (which could be a couple days) For now enjoy the picture of Edgar and the grungy me! As soon as I get my left arm back I'll be taking lots of pictures, I've missed being able to hold my camera and taking pictures (especially with all the amazing flowers I received!!!) I've been eating a lot of soup, pudding, oatmeal, baby food, and I even had ice cream tonight (it was REALLY cold and I couldn't finish my bowl).


Warner has been a working fool. He's planning on taking Mondays off since I have radiation and chemo those days and we will plan all out doctors appointments (speech therapy) on those days as well. My mom and Mrs. Susan will be bringing me to physical therapy once that gets scheduled. I can't wait to be able to get full motion back and the ability to dress myself!


In the past week there have been two rainbows in the sky and it has helped to remind me that this is all going to be okay - that it's okay to get out of the boat because God is in control.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well this is kinda cool
ive never been the FIRST commenter before
lol
anyways
im glad that you are eating more diverse foods like ice cream...yay!
i love both of you very much
and ruekie and edgar!!!
btw....does dr pau know of edgar's namesake???
lol
i love you so much

♥anna♥

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, Keep on working at things. You sound like you are doing great. We are praying for you. We love you !!
The Dancer's

Diane said...

Stephanie,
You look beautiful even with dirty hair!!!!
Love the picture!!!

I just sent out an update on you with that picture to all our Prayer Partners. You're continually being prayed for.
It's a joy to pray for you. We love you.

Diane (for Dale, too)
:-)

Sandie said...

I always read the updates and am not bored at all, but love pictures, even with grungy hair. I'm sure everyone knows that you can click on that photo and blow it up so they can REALLY see you well. *grin*
Prayers continue to go up for you on this end.