Monday, June 23, 2008

Not For The Faint of Heart

You asked for it, now here are some pictures of my arm and skin graft! They're gross, don't say I didn't warn you! We will start off nice and easy though with nice happy pictures.



These are my stay awesome flowers from Warner.
They're pretty awesome.



I took this with my Blackberry goofing off
but I like it because you can't see my scar under my neck
so I don't have the double neck thing going on
and my chin has some definition to it!
Ignore the greasiness from the Aquaphor.


Okay, stop here if you do not want to see the grossness that is now my arm!! Seriously, look no further. You will cry, like a baby. You've been warned. But if you enjoy looking at pain and suffering, by all means, continue on. It's pretty cool.


June 2, 2008.
This is the first time I saw my arm unwrapped.
My arm looks like a cadaver's arm - or fake or something like that.
It was GROSS! I sat there for maybe 15 minutes with it unwrapped
and Warner snapped a picture of it with the cell phone. I hardly wanted to look at it.
There's a silicone layer on top of the Integra (the stuff with the shark cartilage in it)
but you can definitely see tendons and all that grossness.
So there's my shark stuff!





June 17, 2008.
This was taken at home the first time we changed my bandages at home
after the skin graft surgery. So that is my new skin! It will fill in with time,
and it actually doesn't really hurt anymore. It's just stiff and weak.
My hand is orange from the betadyne and I've scrubbed that off now so I'm almost normal.
I can take showers and get my arm soapy and wet now.
The shark cartilage is still there you just can't see it anymore!




And I shall leave you with a picture from my emergency room visit.
My poor poor hand!
I'm working extra hard now to try and not get dehydrated again!


I'm going to go eat some pancakes and sausage, because apparently I'm ADDICTED! (to pancakes and watermelon, but not together, because that ain't right - and yes I said ain't, but it's okay because I used the apostrophe, and that makes it alright).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Steph!
Yes, I am a glutton for punishment(not too sure about the not faint of heart bit!) and have stared at the pics at my desk at work--couldn't get anyone around here to look- so they may need to be renamed "prayer wimps" instead of prayer warriors!The fact that warner felt that he COULD work a shut down(whatever that is) and leave you to sleep alone is very encouraging to me!hope the antinausea meds are more effective this week! Love you bunches--still open to coming down--either when Susu is there or another time.How well do you think you can hold Canasta cards? I'd shuffle for you! Hugs and kisses,
YFA Joan

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, As a nurse, I have never seen anything like your arm. It is AMAZING you are doing so well. Thanking God for your amazing faithfulness and thanks for your ability to deal with all that has been thrown your way(and Warner too!!). Keep your spirits up and remember we are prayin' for you up in HOG LAND.(ha) Cindy McLean

gordon said...

You had me scared for a second when you were saying "look no further, you will cry like a baby" i thought you might have posted a picture of chris with his shirt off.

Anonymous said...

dude!!! that is wicked crazy! you totally beat Gray's. I've never seen anything that cool on there. I'm glad it's all healing up well. I'm continuing to pray for your health and recovery.

-Em

(I had to add that last part cause these people prob think all I do is send you random unsympathetic messages :) I mean, get better already, will ya?)

Anonymous said...

I finally saw what I have been dieing to see - the shark cartilage stuff....oh so interesting I do believe! Thank goodness your body likes shark stuff! We could play checkers on your skin graft if you want! I think your scar and chin are beautiful by the way - maybe I am biased????!!!!!!!!!! Ok See yall in a few hours - seems your meds are working this week?! Hope so! pancakes sound great to me! love MIL/MOM/sksb

Josie said...

I'm totally amazed at how well you are healing! It must be part of your newly acquired shark-girlness, you think? I love how, when given the choice, pancakes and cake are what you eat!! We are the same, you and me...since you do like cake, you should watch this comedian on youtube, Jim Gaffigan, he does a great bit about cake (and pancakes).

We're still praying hard up here in KY. Jos

Anonymous said...

Steph, I too am glad to see the pics. It is so awesome that you feel up to sharing them. I know that prayers are being answered by the way you are feeling so much better this week! Hey don't you think it would be fun if Susu, Aunt Joan & I were all there to "take care" of you? By the way, I hope Laura reads this so she will understand that I am not in the running because I am so far ahead!
The one TRUE YFA BabyBop

Anonymous said...

Stephanie - We love you! I know a great dance to the song, Ice Cream ad Cake and Cake" - let me know when you're ready to learn it!! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Steph your arm pics are awesome! You should try to sell them on istock photo... Anyway, it's good to hear from you regularly and I keep praying for continued strength in that there body of yours. -k