Friday, June 27, 2008

Shenanigans I Tell You!

Paula spent the night last night and we watched “Definitely, Maybe” and then this morning we watch “The Jane Austin Book Club.” Both movies were very good and I enjoyed having Paula around.


I had radiation this morning and right as I sat down in the waiting room, on our green couch we always sit on, Josh called me back to the treatment area – I didn’t have time for a quick snooze or anything. Well, I got in, got strapped down (because I’m pretty sure if I was not sufficiently hog tied – they bribe me with warm blankets as well - I would run out the room screaming) and Josh started my CT scan (I get one every day to make sure I’m in the exact spot every day, I mean seriously, what’s 5 more minutes of radiation on top of what I’m already getting). Well, all of a sudden I come shooting out of the machine (I’m used to hearing a click, then moving out a little bit slowly and then moving out the rest of the way quickly) and Josh started lowering the table. I was kinda freaking out, but they had received an error message and they had to fix the machine. At least now I know they can get me out of there pretty quickly. So, I went and waited in the waiting room for about an hour while the engineer came and fixed it – and took my nap! Josh freaked me out when he woke me up to tell me the machine was ready (both Warner and I were crashed out on the couch). So anyway, I got my treatment and that was that.


When I got home, I decided I would just stay up for the morning and sleep in the afternoon when Paula left. I also decided I wanted PANCAKES! Go figure, right? Well, apparently Mrs. Susan had never made pancakes before (a small detail she failed to mention before hand and we had challenged her to make only one, so she couldn’t exactly follow the recipe on the box). So, it was taking forever to get my pancakes because she kept reading the box and setting her cell phone to time each side of the pancake. Finally she declared she was done:




Let's examine closely:



Notice how it is not fully cooked
(because the batter was super soupy!!)
And it's thin like a crepe!
Ah, but I am very thankful that she attempted to make them
and it made for an entertaining morning!


I went in there and said, “Umm…let’s try this again” and Paula and I taught her all the tips of pancake making! So now SuSu is a bona-fide pancake chef, and would love to make everyone pancakes from scratch (or Eggos). We won’t even get into the sausage story.


Like I said earlier, I slept the afternoon away – pancake making wore me out! This evening Warner put frontline on the pups, and Ruekie usually accepts his fate and just pouts and ignores us for a while after - we’ve come to accept this. Edgar on the other hand, thought he was being tortured and killed. He whined and carried on something awful. After we got it on him, he began yelping and scratching and spinning circles and going absolutely nuts! He HATED it. He has sufficiently worn himself out in the process and is now snoring away on his pillow, just fine.


My taste has started to go away. Water is the worst actually – it tastes rancid. So I am probably overdosing on the mouthwash (because I have the worst taste in my mouth and I gag on the salt water mix that I’m supposed to use – it makes me throw up). I can still taste a few things, but they are definitely blander tasting now. My throat is also getting really dry, which is frustrating because I have to drink more of that rancid tasting water. Coffee ice cream still tastes pretty good though – and watermelon! My skin graft is looking really good. I can see around the edges where the graft is and it’s pink and connected to my real skin. My physical therapist is working with my arm to try and get my wrist to actually bend (it goes like 2 degrees in either direction). That’s about it for my news. Next week is a four day week for treatment because of July 4th. Which is awesome, maybe it won’t be as rough (HA!) and I’ll have a long weekend to let my body repair itself!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, Glad to hear from you! Blessings from ARKANSAS! Glad Edgar survived "his" treatment today. I love pancakes no matter how big,little,thin,thick...or what they look like! Just add syrup. Have a great weekend. Glad you had a good day! Love, Cindy McLean

Laura said...

I'm so glad I wasn't eating or drinking when I read about Susan making pancakes - my computer screen would be covered now! I'm still laughing hard!

I'll be praying the water tastes better and you don't lose more of your ability to taste.

Anonymous said...

Everyone here said Hi! Everyone has been reading the blog and expect you to write a book about it. We miss you and sorry about the taste buds. Just keep eating the watermelon. We will see you Sunday on our way home. I gave up trying to use my google identity I set up, it keeps telling me the password is wrong. Second time it has done that to me and I refuse to set it up again. So I will be another "anonymous" Not like you cant tell who I am. MOM

Sandie said...

Heh Cute story about the pancakes. They do take a bit of a trick to get right. A quick trip to one of the local restaurants might be easier. LOL

gordon said...

Susan that pancake is perfect, those craters will hold lot's of extra syrup and fruit, very nice. Now that i think about it the possibilities are endless, just think of the presentation, syrup in one spot, fruit in one spot, bacon in one spot..... endless possibilities

gordon said...

steph -this is debi gordon has been leaving all comments cause I'm bad at computer! but just wanted you to know Gordon acts the same way your puppies do when I get the frontline on him but you know what ever works! Hey girl you know we are cheering you on thru this race, no Iron man ever deserved their shirt as much as you.

Anonymous said...

Gordon, thanks for the culinary ideas!!!!! i bought Eggo mini pancakes at the big W last night!!!!!!! Debi, I bet Gordon acts just like Edgar - I have a visual image!!!!!!! I'm laughing out loud you two! What she failed to tell you was that I had to call Candy in Texas for instructions on the sausage..........I cooked it backwards - it just wasn't the same! Wait till Steph sees my watermelon balls (her mom is spoiling her!) - they are square!!!!! EGADS, I hope she survives my visit!!!!!!!!!! MIL/Mom/sksb

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephenie, My Aunt had the same experience with losing her taste. She said that orange juice was so much better than water.
Hope Edger forgives you soon :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie, we are in a pancake phase right now too, they also taste good with powdered sugar on top of the syrup. I have made many pancakes where no one wanted to look at them also. Were praying for you. Love ya,
The Dancer's