Monday, June 16, 2008

Ode To Zofran - We Will Become Best Friends, I'm Sure Of It

Today’s Schedule:


4:10 : Wake up and go to the bathroom, go back to bed

5:10 : Wake up and get ready for the day, reluctantly

5:30 : Take Lortab, which failed me miserably

6:00 : Radiation, which was less than wonderful, but not so bad

6:45 : Sit on an uncomfortable bench for an hour as Lortab induced nausea sets in

7:45 : Head to Speech Therapy

8:00 : Barf in Speech Therapy Waiting Room trash can

8:15 : Speech therapy, watch my swallow study, seriously you should go do one

9:30 : Dr. Kaplan and my shark skin appointment and vac removal

9:45 : Kill the afternoon in the oncology waiting room and take a nap

11:00 : Barf again, this time in the bathroom

1:00 : Chemo teaching session

2:30 : Blood Work

3:00 : Get stuck four times trying to get an IV in, good thing this is only once a week

3:30 : Antinausea meds

4:00 : Chemo begins, lasts 30 minutes

5:30 : Finally made it home


Today would have been good if I wasn’t trying to fight off the nausea all day, but I got some meds (Zofran and some other strong drug) for the nausea to bring home so I should be hunky - dory now. Warner looked like he was carrying enough gear to be taking care of 5 three year olds - meds, food for the pump, IV pole for my pump, the pump, the wound vac, water bottles with Gatorade and water, real food, the computer, and me. Once I got into the radiation room and set up and going, the sound was pretty relaxing, now if only I didn’t have a mask on my face and upper body and a bite thing in my mouth to hold my tongue down, it wouldn’t be so bad - for now. I will hopefully get this pain med nausea under control because I’m going to be living on them once things get bad and I can’t go barfing every thing I eat, that’s no way to gain 5 pounds. Oh, also since I’m doing chemo, please don’t come visit if you are sick or have any type of infection. I’m not doing a high dose so I don’t know how compromised my immune system will be, but I really don’t want to get sick during all of this. Speaking of chemo, it only lasts about 30 minutes, if they can stick my veins. I also got red tape for my arm when they drew the blood, no more lime green! I get to sit in a comfy recliner with a blanket, watch tv, and they even pass out juice and snacks (cracker mainly, that I haven't mastered eating yet!) My wrist is quite floppy now that I don't have that half cast on there, and it looks cheese grated, but we've been reassured it will heal up and that my arm and leg look like they are supposed to. I can even shower and get my arm wet now.


So, I’m going to go take my meds in a few minutes and crash out. Only one appointment tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

twice in one week
wow!!!!
i really like the summer
i can be the first to comment on your late night posts!!!!

anyways im really happy that everything went well today

i have just about every person in o'fallon praying for you just to let you know

i love you very very much

anna

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie and Warner. We've been reading your blog every chance we get. We have sailed to America and getting internet now should be easier. I must say that you and Warner are amazing! Your perspective on this whole thing is right. It really is going to be okay because God works all things for our good when we love Him and you guys obviously do. By the way... I can't imagine barfing all the time (along with everything else!). It made me think of my 5 year old, Sam. He barfed a few times on a rough sail we had and for some strange reason, he's quite proud of that! Anyway, we love your blog and the way you can make us laugh. We're praying for you.
Nancy Jackson

Anonymous said...

SWEET DREAMS TO YOU BOTH lOVE sksb

Keeyai said...

Hey Steph and Warner.

This is Collin, Jessica's boyfriend.

I just found out about all this from Jess today. My heart goes out to you both. I'm so impressed with how you guys are handling everything. I think your very positive attitudes will help you get through it much more easily.

Let us know if we can help in some way. It looks like you have a great group of people supporting you, but if you need us for something let us know.