Monday, May 19, 2008

And Now It's Over

Well the day is finally truly over for everyone except James the Surgical ICU Nurse. Stephanie is asleep, and I am in the critical care waiting room discovering these couches were not quite made for someone of my stature to sleep on. There are some larger ones, but I'll be ok for the night as long as she's in the SICU. I would feel bad complaining, because the lady next to me has been camped out for four weeks now. But on to the stuff everyone REALLY cares about. Stephanie looked a lot better than what I was prepared for, in fact she almost looked like she does when she wakes in the morning with her hair (she'll kill me for saying that), only she also looked like a chipmunk with her swollen cheeks, and she kicked Angelina Jolie's butt in the puffy lip department. I once was told that during my last trip to the ER for my shoulder it made the person with hurt to see me because I was obviously in pain while they were re-setting it. I know what she meant now, because they were having trouble with the "wound bag" from Stephanie's arm and the nurse was tracing the line to look for an kinks. A part of this operation was moving Steph's arm, and I could tell by the look on her beautiful swollen face that it was not feeling good. Oh yeah, it is now one hundred percent confirmed they took the flap from her forearm, which means they used the Shark stuff to fill in the hole. I can't wait to tell her that, it will probably come right after I let her know that they saved some of her tongue.

I really can't wait for her to be out of ICU so that I can actually spend the night with her in the same room.

Heavenly Father, we come before you humbled by your greatness and might, overcome by your loving kindness and unable to deny the mercy you have shown us. Thank you for the outcome of the surgery being everything we hoped and prayed for. We humbly ask that the final pathology comes back negative on both the margins and the lymph nodes that were removed today, but if not we require your strength and love to overflow to us again and make us stronger than you have already. We pray that the flap will heal, and the blood vessels will not clot and will remain flowing to keep the flap alive and healthy. Once again we cannot adequately express our thankfulness and praise for the out come of today.

9 comments:

Gonzalo & Yvonne said...

God is so good! Yay!!!
We are over joyed!
The Esquivel's

Anonymous said...

Hallalujah! Even tho we want different answers sometimes( I was asking that the doctorr's found nothing anywhere-that He had already radically removed the cancer) in the end what a relief it is that we have a God who is sovereign-the maker of Heaven and earth Who is in control! Blessings to you both and all your doctors and nurses. I couldn't wait to get up this a.m. to see your update. We all love you and will keep praying that Jehovah Jireh shows Himself mighty on Stephanie's behalf. Which arm has the flap-cause He promises to hold us by our right hand(and , yes, I know that He also says that He holds us by His righteous right hand-but like I said He is the One who made it all!) We love you guys-and the parents ,too!
YFA Joan

Anonymous said...

Praise The Lord! If I could see through the tears of gratitude to say more, I would! You are still in our constant prayers! We love you Both!

Y(For REAL)FA Barney

Josie said...

Praise the Lord! He truly does bless us more than we can even ask or imagine! I am so thankful he chose to work in this way. I can't wait to see how he continues to prove himself faithful in the coming hours and weeks. Thanks for all the updates, Warner, I hope you got a little sleep last night.

I heard you guys had wanted to come to Luke's ordination this weekend. Obviously, that wasn't possible, but we both really appreciate that you wanted to be there. That means so much! We love you!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I have thought about y'all last night and prayed some. I am glad to come in this morning and read all the posts and comments, that Steph is now officially the awesome shark girl. I can see her smiling whenever somebody says that. Warner, thank you for sharing your prayer with us, to bring us with you as you pray; for God will hear those who are in agreement about anything on earth and bless them. We are with you and still are! God has richly blessed you with so many loving and supporting and praying for y'all. We heartily encourage you to keep us posted with follow-ups. I don't know about others, but I know God has blessed me with your posts, to see the endurance and resilience that He will use to strengthen both of you for an even more incredible purpose. He is faithful...true...sovereign...

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for you both. In Africa one time I saw a sign at the mission hospital that said, "We treat, Jesus heals"! How true that is in America as well.
God Bless your day! Kem Jackson

Anonymous said...

Hey News from the MIL......first a few blogs ago I said Steph made memad NOT TRUE!!!! Actualy she never has!!!!!!! I amde her mead only twice last Sun..........sorry for the misrepresentation!!!!!!!! We are all so appreciative for ALL the prayers...thank you Lee and Gail for putting sweet Steph's name on all the prayer lists in those "cute little chapels" near Boone....and of course all those prayers from TN! Candy Steve and I got 6 hours of sleep last night - way better than the night before! Wahs and Candy are visiting now - the hour has just begun......we will take turns and let Warner stay the whole time! I am so impressed with Dr. Pou - she answered ALL my questions which all of you can be many! Thanks for all the love, support, and prayer.....SKSB

The Frugal Muse said...

We are SO thrilled to hear about the success of the surgery! We will keep praying for a safe and speedy recovery!

Lucas and Cherissa

Anonymous said...

I agree with that prayer. Thank the Lord for not only His mercy, but also that He understands the why this was necessary and how He is going to use it for good in yours and Stephanie's life.