Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Return of Shark Girl

that's my spit sucker
I haven't relearned
how to swallow all my spit
so we are best friends

I guess I can tell the world hello again since they’ve decided they won’t let me out of here yet. I have at least another day here while they are running more stomach tests (tests have become the theme of my life). So lets see, my earliest memory after the surgery was waking up in ICU that night (I was mostly kept sedated and on sleeping pills so I wouldn’t move around much), and James (my nurse the first two nights), was of James taking my stats and putting a washcloth on my forehead – then I was quite out of it for a while. The worst part of ICU (besides a couple “inattentive nurses” was having a catheter (I wanted that less than I wanted a trach – seriously, I would have taken a diaper. Bu worse than that was the bed pan in ICU, but I shall spare you the glory o the bed pan. Lets just say things are better now. My absolute favorite nurse was Melissa and she came to see me in the RCU the second day I got here. She was awesome. She was the one who put the ice under my arms when my fever was 102 and she was the one who noticed my feedings were not going so well. She paid close attention to me. I need to get back over there and see her soon.


So, the beautiful world of cancer, surgery, and hospitalization – in ICU they take stats about every hour. Which means no sleep – whatsoever. In RCU they do stats every four hours, which is bad enough. Doctors begin rounds around 4 am. About the time of rounds. I have had my blood taken at least once every day, sometimes twice – which has left my poor right arm (they can’t do anything to my left because of the graft) a lovely shade of greenish purple from the iv’s and blood work. Since I had pneumonia – I had x-rays every morning, sometime between 4 and 6 am. And I had breathing treatments every 6 hours.


So I had the trach out which is nice, having them out means I can move my head around easier now. It also means when I talk or cough I have to put pressure on the bandage or else air come out the whole – which is WEIRD. I’ve started some PT – which I think the best part is the wheelchair ride over there – it’s kind of fun and I get to see the real world outside – fast food joints and all. For those who are wondering, my hair has not been washed in about 10 days, I have had baths but no hair washes. I have not brushed my teeth either – yeah, I agree, gross. I need to ask when it will be ok to do so. I’m really craving juice and Dr. Pepper but not really any food. My nurse today was putting vitamin drink stuff in my feeding tube and she was like, mmmm grape, here, smell, and put it up to my nose. I was thinking great, let the girl smell the one thing she wants, that she cannot have. And it smelled sooo good – I could smell it with her putting it up to my nose), I have speech therapy on Monday and I can’t do much until then, so I’, hoping it goes well and I can start drinking stuff then.


I’m waiting to get some feeling back in my face. My right side is pretty numb under my chin and my ear and my right side under my chin (but only above the staples line on both sides), but every now and then I get these annoying little twitchy pains, so I think the feeling is coming back. At least I hope so- it makes for a very goofy smile otherwise.


I was worried about losing my oxygen tube, at first, when they took that away (when I had the trach out)– we had bonded. It had brought me much needed humidified oxygen for about a week. But I’m glad it’s gone – one less tube!


So, I guess I have to mention how amazingly wonderful Warner is. He gets up at my every need and checks the machines when they beep – and he calls the nurse for me. He understands me when I talk – which is a miracle in itself. He has slept every night in the room (in RCU) or in the waiting room (while in ICU) with me. But he did eat a cookie in front of me last night! It was white choco. Macademia so he was pretty safe. All in all, I can’t say enough for how awesome he has been through the whole thing.


So I’m here. Making it. I’m ready to get on with it all. I have my moments – some are better than others, but I hope it all gets better when I get home from the hospital and back to my puppies (Mary – you don’t get them forever, although, you seem to be taking the most amazing care of them!!!!!) and stop sitting around all day. I’ve still got a long way to go, but don’t feel sorry for me. I realized I had tons of plans for my life, and yeah, some of them are still the same, but as far as the others, God never meant for them to happen anyway, and that’s okay. So, on to more doctor appointments.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all those years of warner practicing speaking mumble are finally paying off! :)
-Emily

Carol Hennessy said...

You look amazing! Hope you get out of there soon and back to your furry babies. I'm sure they really miss you.

Anonymous said...

Steph, if anyone ever doubted the goodness of God, all they need to do is read your words! You are truly an inspiration to this Family. I am so thankful that God so planned for you and Warner to have each other! Because that means He gave us such a rich blessing in addition to Warner. We love you and are continuing to pray for you both.
The REAL YFA Glen

Anonymous said...

Steph,

It was good to see your post! I am so glad that God has blessed you w/a wonderful hubby!! It is great having that- I have one too - as you well know. He sends his prayers and love too!!!
We will continue to pray for you both -whether we are in Luling or Hammond. Yes, it looks like we have sold our house!! Seems strange huh?! Still have lots of details to work out tho!!

We love you!!
Rose & Gary

Anonymous said...

Steph- you are amazing and BEAUTIFUL! We are blown away by your sweetness and sense of humor ! Warner- you ,too amaze us! We love you both,
YFA Joan and Uncle Sonny

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, you look "GREAT". Keep up the good work and get well. We love you. Hope to see you soon.
Mrs. Robin, Mr. Troy, Sherri and Sheila

Unknown said...

So proud of you! We've been praying and thinking about you:) Blondie!

Anonymous said...

Hello friend!! Go to have your return, Shark Girl! All I can think about every time I read each of these posts is us watching Grey's Anatomy together...and now you're kind of living it. I am so glad you are doing well and continue to keep you in my prayers!

love
-k

Diane said...

Stephanie, you look beautiful even with that tube in your mouth. It's just plain nice to see a picture of you again. And you make me smile... the way you write!!!

I thought about you today when I got an e-mail from Gracia Burnham. Do you remember the first time I met you? It was at Scott's Bible Study, and we talked about you knowing (or your church supporting???) the Burnhams. I never forgot that. Today I thought about you again when I received Gracia's e-mail. In a portion of her letter she said this....

"Yesterday would have been Martin and my 25th Anniversary. I happen to be home alone for a few days - so after prayer meeting last night treated myself to pancakes at IHOP for our anniversary. It was a good day - and I am so happy to be here and to be free."

I thought you would enjoy hearing about that. For me, she kind of bonds us (you and me) together because of that first talk I ever had with you.

I saw Warner's comment on Vicki's blog. What a blessing you and Vicki are to all of us at Sager Creek. We love you, and we're continuing to pray for you. I'll keep our Prayer Partners updated on your progress.

All because of HIS great love for you,
Diane
:-)

Anonymous said...

You look Great! We have been keeping up with your progress between your blog and Diane's updates. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be to you and Warner for God's best, but He always gives us His best anyway. Thinking of you everyday.
By His Grace,
Wayne and Becky

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Stephanie, it's so good to hear about you from your own words (no offense, Warner). And I could not help but notice that one small detail--that you crave Dr. Pepper. Girl, I buy three or four 24-packs weekly. You'll be right at home with us, along with our huge furry and feathery family. Feel free to stop by and see us when you come to Sweet Home Alabama! You can have all the Dr. Pepper you want!!!

Last night, Chris and I watched our FAVORITE show....LOST. Part of the critical dialogue is about miracles. One is adamant about a big miracle about to happen and the other will not believe until after the miracle has happened then. The reason to share this is to point out that you already are a miracle and many already believe that, not waiting for the miracle to happen before believing. God has blessed you to be a miracle, full of His grace and with such an incredible attitude. Your miracle-ness have brought God the greatest glory! God has made you fruitful in the land of your suffering, as in Genesis 41:52.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

One more thing...there are no-rinse shampoos that you can use, just in case you might want to know that. But from your picture, you look great despite of 10-day-old unwashed, unshampooed hair.

Below are example links of where you can find some no-rinse or dry shampoo.

http://www.rei.com/product/746099

www.haircareusa.com/rinse_no_more_shampoo.htm

look up dry shampoo on www.sephora.com

As for no rinse toothpaste, Crest has those "on the go" packs that you open and use to scrub on your teeth if you are in a situation (like at work) and not have a toothbrush and toothpaste.

If I am stepping on your toes by giving you too much unsolicited advice, please forgive me.....

Paula said...

Warner had the chocolate chip... so he's not quite off the hook yet.

Dan said...

Hey Stephanie & Warner -

Just to let you know that you have been in Judy's and my thoughts and prayers a lot. I've tried sending email (I know I am behind the times) but your box has been full.
Blogging is new to me.

Your story is proving once again that "The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and His ears toward their cry." Ps 34:15

Dan (for Judy too)

Anonymous said...

you look great , hard to beleive you have gotten through that and look so good , thinking about y'all .this song reminds me about you when i hear it , maybe the tongue reference or the great attitude you have ..Al
http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?artist=1231897&vid=215780

Anonymous said...

STEPHANIE - do you and Warner keep score of how many comments your blogs get? Might be a fun game... And did you get to see the last episode of House - if not, let me know and we can tape it off DVR for you. Brad and I are so encouraged by your blog. The last paragraph was so wonderful about God having different plans for our lives - and His are so much better than ours most the time. We love you and can't wait to see you again. And be sure to tell Warner we said hello!!