Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's a New Day

I woke up in the waiting room around 6:45 this morning, I slept ok, not too bad considering everything. Dr. Pou came by this morning before she went back to surgery, she said Stephanie was responsive, meaning she would open her mouth and let them look at her tongue on command, alert, and awake this morning. All very good things in my mind. I just hope the swelling in her face goes down soon so she can get rid of the trach. Funny thing, when we watch a doctor show she cringes and looks away when they insert the trach, and now unfortunately she has one, which means she'll make good use of her marker board in the near future.

The ten to eleven visit when well, although when Candy and I went to see her at first they were messing with her arm wound care system it seriously made me sick and I almost blacked out. I think Candy had roughly the same reaction I did. She had to sit down right after I did, and then she left to go get Stephanie's dad while the nurses re-wrapped the the wound so that he wouldn't have to see the wound. They were apparently having problems with the machine not pulling a vacuum on the wound to suck all the blood and goo out. It was great to see her though, she was able to nod at us and somewhat communicated with her right arm. I got to hold her index finger and thumb and she squeezed back. So far the flap is doing good they tested it again while we there, so that's good news. Paula came by to see Stephanie and that made Stephanie throw up...haha just kidding. Steph tries to smile a little bit and it's good to see that, I was right about the trach though, she hates it and it really does bother her quite a bit, but it will come out soon, the swelling has already gone down quite a bit, and that makes me hopeful about the trach coming out. I will make another post later today about the rest of the visits.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! All great news. God never ceases to amaze with His Greatness! You're both in my prayers.
Riki Jimison

Diane said...

Tell Stephanie we love her and are following her progress. Tell her that we're continuing to keep her in our prayers. God is good.

Diane (for our Sager Creek Prayer Partners)
:-)

Unknown said...

Though I have never met your Stephanie, your Mom has told me all about how wonderful she is... I am reading your blog from Seattle and have Stephanie on a "power of prayer" list...Someday, these difficult days will be history and you two can go on with your wonderful life. Take care and our best wishes for continued great news with Stephanie's recovery.

Laurie Schuchart (your Mom's college roomie)

Unknown said...

Hey, Been thinkin about ya'll. My sister had a really really bad wreck when she was 16 and had skin grafts, wound vacs, nights in ICU... We've been praying for ya'll and added you to our church's prayer list! Blondie:)